The Epic Party is Crashed

Home  /  Take Me to the Moon  /  The Epic Party is Crashed

The Epic Party is Crashed

Take Me to the Moon 5.20

Previous Chapter / Next Chapter:

While the Teslas were having a relaxed day at the pool, Alexander got a phone call from Elder, inviting him to a party. Although it was too early for Elder to age up, everyone assumed it was Elder’s birthday, since he was making the invitation, and everyone wanted to attend.  Elder had very quickly earned his way into everyone’s hearts.  So they quickly hopped out of the pool and were whisked off to Elder’s place.

TS4 2015-07-28 10-53-32-83

After the Epic Space-Time Thingy Kind of Party, Alexander had asked Elder to help him rebuild ties with the culled family members he had brought back from the gallery, by moving in with the Elder Teslas and being a liaison.   “If I could, I’d move them all into our home,” Alexander had explained.   Elder had graciously agreed.  After all, he and Alexander were friends, and Elder had other instances of himself in other worlds, doing other things.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-07-15-08

Elder: “Your player doesn’t realize it, but this is not my birthday party.”

Aunt Joann’s farm, while absolutely lovely, required some CC and without it the game had crashed, so Elder and the Great Teslas had moved back to the original Tesla Place where Beatrice and Barnaby grew up.    The house had been saved to the Gallery long ago, but they found it was in a barely-furnished state.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-09-23-36

Elder welcomed Maddi back; she had been playing at the pool with all the younger Teslas.  Whatever fun was going on, Maddi was sure to be there, helping make it enjoyable for everyone.

TS4 2015-07-28 14-51-58-32

Felicity tells Triple Great Granddad Micah about how her dad is creative and her mom is a goofball. “And I’m neat,” she says. “You can see my situation, right?” Ewan and Zoe look at each other and acknowledge it is true.

Fiona was still trying to perfect her “scare” technique, still without success.

TS4 2015-07-28 14-49-52-28

Cassandra Goth found herself as the caterer for the event, and was quite mystified, since she had little experience with cooking but could play piano better than most sims.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-06-18-89

“Where’s the piano? And how did I get chosen as the caterer?!”

Delaney’s mother, Cassandra, seemed very preoccupied.   Elise and Fiona tried to cheer her up by dancing with her.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-12-20-55

But Cassandra, who was known to be quite snobby, left when Ranen joined in.  Micah seemed confused by Ranen’s presence as well, but he didn’t embarrass Ranen for being an alien.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-14-42-82

Elise watched as Ranen used his usual humor and friendliness to try to set Micah at ease.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-14-48-07

Delaney made a birthday cake and set it on the counter, but no one came to blow out the candles.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-16-25-68

Fiona was beginning to thaw her great grandmother’s icy demeanor, which pleased Delaney.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-17-38-33

Fiona was just getting warmed up.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-20-04-38

Why did the rooster cross the road?”

TS4 2015-07-28 15-20-12-23

“To cock-a-doodle doo something!”

Felicity had found her favorite Great:  Great, Great Grandmother Beatrice was on the back patio  and Felicity began to tell her how excited she was to start school soon.  Felicity didn’t seem to notice, but  Beatrice was preoccupied.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-21-08-97

“I’ve got my binder all organized, Great Grandma!”

Micah, who had died before Cassandra was born, came over to get to know his granddaughter better, now that he had the chance.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-21-57-32

But soon, everyone gathered outside as if to celebrate a birthday.  Alexander and Elder followed, waiting to see what the game engine had in store.  Ranen had eyes only for Elise, Delaney noticed.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-24-42-75

But instead of finding everyone in a light, happy mood, everyone looked sad or somber.  And it wasn’t just because Elise was beating everyone.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-25-30-57

On the back porch, Beatrice and Brad were also very somber.  Felicity, oblivious to the gravity that had settled on everyone, tried to tell them about the Magical Tree House she had visited on the search to find Free-Jon.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-26-00-79

She followed them in to the kitchen, to find Maddi on the floor.  For Cassandra, it was the most heart-breaking of all.  Her grandmother had been her world, as a young girl.  And  she had watched her grandmother die just feet from that spot, when she was the same age Felicity and Fiona were, now.  Although Cassandra couldn’t  remember it consciously, it seemed as if this death broke a heart string lying dormant and yet, still buried and interlaced deep within her being.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-28-35-29

Everyone gathered around as Grim consulted his tablet.  No one felt that they had a bargaining chip, since Maddi had just had her second life, although short.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-29-46-89

Except Fiona.  Fiona determined that at the first opportunity, she would plead for Maddi’s life.  After all, she had just become friends with her Triple Great Grandma, and there were so many things they still wanted to talk about.  Grim would see what a great person her Triple Great was.  She would make him see.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-32-15-79

Grim didn’t even allow Fiona to plead.  He struck Maddi definitively, being quite peeved that this was causing an unprecedented paperwork problem.  Actual paper was going to have to be filed, at this point.  Because there was no appropriate “tick box” in his tablet app for a second reaping.  Grim didn’t even want to think about the red tape involved with submitting this report; no doubt it would cause many tense and angry feelings at work.  After all, this was technically a different Maddi; but at the same time, it was also the same sim.  The messiness of it made him mad.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-31-11-06

As Fiona, shocked and pierced to the heart, realized that he had no mercy, he took a BLT from the counter.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-32-03-99

Brad immediately tried to comfort his daughter.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-33-04-37

And grieved with her, realizing there was no way to soothe away the pain.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-33-17-47

Alexander, who knew this was inevitable, felt the overwhelming sadness wash over and around everyone.  Cassandra’s grief pierced Delaney’s heart.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-30-26-48

Delaney followed Elise out to the patio, where Alexander had set some Grilled Fruit Cobbler earlier.  Elise was looking off, clearly upset about this turn of events, although she was not close to Maddi.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-35-44-03

Although Delaney was usually a wise and intelligent sim, for some crazy reason she tried to reason with Elise at a time when reason is worthless.

“It’s part of life; we should be glad for the time we had.”

TS4 2015-07-28 15-36-20-29

“Mom, everyone is hurting.  Don’t tell me to be glad.”  Brad sat quietly eating.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-36-51-99

Cassandra Goth looked over and noticed Grim was dancing to the now incongruous pop music, which still played.  Fiona watched him with an empty feeling.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-37-51-91

Brad, Cassandra Goth, and Micah gathered on the couch and waited for Grim to tire of the party.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-39-41-44

Eventually, he went outside, where Elise and Alexander were looking at the untouched Grilled Fruit Cobbler.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-40-19-95

Elise numbly served a piece.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-40-40-39

Alexander summoned all his courage and looked right at Grim.

“We need more time.  The game culled the ghosts before the children were born.”

TS4 2015-07-28 15-40-45-72

Grim just looked at him.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-40-19-95

“We’re trying to correct a problem with the game here.  Work with us a little!”

TS4 2015-07-28 15-40-56-85

“You could take a few days off; tell your colleagues to go enjoy a Spa Day, too.”

TS4 2015-07-28 15-41-01-88

“Oh, Spa Day!  Goody!” Grim said facetiously.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-41-26-74

And he got up to leave.

TS4 2015-07-28 15-41-52-56

“Alexander Goth, it is not your place to tinker with the game.  Flawed or not, the game engine determines  the world you live in.”

TS4 2015-07-28 15-42-25-17

TS4 2015-07-28 15-42-29-65

Gameplay Notes:

• For my readers who don’t play Sims 4, here’s some gameplay context.  One of the updates added the ability for sims outside the household being played to invite the active sims to a party at their lot, to age up.   The only sims that are playable are the ones from the active household.
  • I don’t remember what the pop-up message from Elder said; at the time I think I assumed it was Elder’s birthday party although it may have said it was.  However, once they arrived at the lot, even though Delaney made a cake, no one ever aged up.  I’ve only played 3-4 game days since Elder joined the household, so he shouldn’t be ready to age up yet.  I think the game issued the invitation for Maddi’s death, but that’s just a theory.  Everyone seemed quite somber from the time they arrived, especially the sims who live in the household with Maddi.
  • I had Fiona plead for Maddi, because she had the highest relationship with her.  But Grim/the game didn’t even allow the interaction to take place.

1. meowfaze says:

My Sims frequently get party invites as well. I never know what to do at the parties. The person who sends the invites usually say “well, that was a party I guess” or something to that effect. Once, a non-playable Sim called to invite my sim on a date. They had a great time and later got married.

I love the idea of inactive sims inviting you over for a party. Any party is fine, birthdays not required :). Did it say it was a birthday party? It sounds like you don’t know exactly what was on the invitation. Being invited to the funeral for someone who is not yet dead is a pretty creepy idea. Heh.

I imagine that if it’s time for Maddie to go, several of the other ancestors are going to die soon. I hope the mod will protect them from culling this time!

• Echoweaver, I didn’t write it down and I can’t remember for sure whether or not it was a birthday party. You are right it would be creepy and weird to be invited ahead of time for a funeral. Next time I need a screencap! And I am bracing myself for a slew of deaths now.

3. I have yet to receive an invite to a party. It sounds like fun though. As for Maddi, poor thing. The plea fell on Grimm’s deaf ears, he didn’t even listen to her reasoning. I did like how you explained how the second Maddi made extra paper work for Grimm.

• Hi Rory, thanks for commenting! I think this was my second or third party invite in the game; they are fun. I think it’s a great addition to the game. I’m glad you liked the bit about the paperwork; I hoped it would lighten it up a bit. Take care!

4. Lexivita says:

Looks like I’ve caught up. 🙂

It’s so annoying, I think, when the sims don’t get to plead. In my games all my sims have ever been invited to of parties is birthdays. Would be creepy to be invited to a death party – “hey, will you come over and watch me die.”

Do you know if you can get real alien children in the game? In one of my games I had an alien mother, the child got her colour, but that was all. No pointy ears or the opportunity to wear or take off alien disguise, even after growing up.

• Thanks so much, for reading & commenting!! I don’t know if you get real alien children in the game; that’s a great question. I think the children born after abductions, to the abducted sim, are full alien. I wonder what happens if two aliens have a child, though. It seems like the child would have all teh alien characteristics.

Since I don’t think I can comment on your tumblr (?), I want to say I dropped by and saw your shots of Echo in her new home! I don’t think my other couple of sim friends who play Sims 4 have added her to their game yet, so you’re the first! It was so fun seeing her actually interacting.

I gave up and made a tumblr account, but I still don’t think I can comment on your posts there. It says that a post has a bunch of “notes,” but when I click to see them, they all appear to be like or share notifications. I really don’t get tumblr. You all get off my lawn.

• Tumblr drives me crazy!! It’s so aggravating that you signed up, and it still won’t let you comment. It seems like you have to be on for a while/have a certain number of posts/follow someone for a certain amount of time before you can comment. But I’ve been on it over a year now and it is still such a pain to try to comment or try to read all of someone’s posts. Aargh! Micro-blogging may be the wave of the future but I enjoy this medium a lot more.

Echo was awesome when I put her in the game! I’ve actually put her in two games now, and both times she wants to meet people and improve her computer skills. I started one game of simselves, the one you saw on Tumblr, and then when I put my legacy Sims 4 folder back in, I realized, I’m probably too lazy to switch the game folders out all the time; so I started another Simselves game in the same folder with the legacy game. I also plan to add her to the legacy game, but it has aging on so she will start to age pretty quick in that game.

For the second simselves game which I’ll probably play more often, I’ve got a couple pictures of her in her new apartment with her roommate, Serena Sinclair, which I’ll post on Google + to avoid the Tumblr issues. Our simselves haven’t met yet though. Oh–I hadn’t made her an active sim yet in the second simself game, and MC Command Center kicked in, and she and my simself both were pregnant within hours of starting the game, which was not ok with me since I wanted to bypass active sims and play them in rotation. So I exited without saving. Thanks for commenting!

I’ve found that party invitations can happen even when a Sim isn’t due to age up, and it results in early aging up. They will age up, even if they don’t go to the cake. It’s possible that Grim interrupted Elder’s aging, or it’s possible that he did when no one was looking. He’d just be an adult, so the change might not look different. I guess you can tell next time you mouse over him if it says “Young Adult” or “Adult”.

I’ve kind of decided not to go to parties–especially if I know that the Sims are a ways away from being due to age. Don’t want to rush Grim!

Loved your shots of Grim–like raerei, you got that grabbing of the soul-light shot I’ve been trying to get. And I loved his dancing, and I really loved his speech about “You can’t mess with the game!”

• Wow, I didn’t realize that party invitations may come early; I don’t want to rush the aging anymore than it is already moves in the legacy! I’ll check Elder next time I’m in game and see him, but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t out of my sight. You may have liked his dancing, but did you see how aggravated everyone was watching him? He probably is lonely and feels like an outsider. But at the time, I just felt badly for everyone else! I did notice too, that this Grim was chunkier than the other I’ve seen in my game, and wondered if he’s a glutton.

• cathytea says:

Grims have all sorts of body shapes! He’s got that Bane/Palo Verde shape–wide hips and narrow shoulders!

• CathyTea, you were right about Elder– he has aged up to Adult even though I didn’t see it happen at the party.

• cathytea says:

Yup! Parties should come with a warning: May cause premature aging! I think I’m making my policy not to accept birthday party invitations unless I know for sure that the Sim is due to age that day.

• Echo Weaver says:

Huh. It seems awesome to be invited to inactive parties, but they shouldn’t have to be birthday parties. It would bug me greatly if my inactives started aging up at random times. I’m going to guess there’s a mod out for that or shortly will be?

I wonder if there’s an aging issue at play with Elder? I seem to remember something with TS3 where babies were aging ultra-fast when they weren’t being played. Maybe Elder had aged more than you thought he had before he moved in?

But anyway, RIP Maddi…again. I wonder if it’s worse for the sims who were there for her death the first time around or for little Fiona, who was only just getting to know her Triple Great. 🙁

• Hmmm, the aging of non-actives is definitely not as reliable as I would like to play rotationally. Thanks for commenting, and the condolences.

• Echo Weaver says:

The default EA behavior is that babies are automatically aged to toddlers in inactive families. I’m going to guess it’s because the developers were looking to reduce social situations where inactives brought baby burritos and left them on the floor to scream the whole time. NRaas StoryProgression on its default settings changes his so that inactive babies age up at the same speed as active babies.

• Well, that sounds like it had a plausible rationale, for baby sims 3 sims to grow up a little faster if inactive; but it doesn’t make any sense to me for them to randomize or rush other sims’ birthday parties. It does take the fun out of having them! Maybe there will be a mod to address it; or it is possible they’ll tweak or tune it. They have addressed a lot of issues over the past several months. Until then, I’ll probably have to decline those party invitations unless I know the sim needs to age up already. I am confident that Elder had only been in the game 3-4 game days, and was on regular life span, with a full meter for young adult, so there is no way he was ready to age up, but apparently he did (I checked in game yesterday and he is now an adult.)

• Echo Weaver says:

Yeah, that seems like a bad idea.

Is there a way to set Elder’s age back to YA?

• Susan, I could go into their household and use the cas.fulleditmode cheat to change his age back. In-game, I don’t know how or if it can be done. With Delaney and Alexander so close to the end of their days, I’m not willing to change active households right now. If I did, I may well come back to find them gone and everyone missed the death.

• Echo Weaver says:

Oooh. I never thought of that. So the edit in cas cheat can only be performed on the active household?

I’m getting more and more interested in Sims 4, I have to admit. And the new expansion pack teaser looks really interesting and different from previous offerings. But I’m going to stick to my guns! Samples first!

8. Poor neat Felicity and her carefree parents lol

I am glad they get to meet their greats and great greats though. I hate the culling! It must be fixed. I think all sims that were once played should never be culled. It ruins things lol

Grim was a character in this! All the messy paperwork, poor guy. But come on, dancing and stealing food after you reaped someones loved one? For shame Grim lol!

I have also had invites to birthday parties where no one aged up in my GTW vignettes.. But. I just thought of something. I have aging off. For both played and non played sims. So maybe thats why I have that problem.

• Oh, I totally agree that the culling needs fixing! Your comments made me smile! I thought I read that if you go to a party, even if aging is off, the sim will still age, because it is a way of telling the game you DO want this sim to age. But I’m not sure…

Shannon–re. the aging-up early, here’s this from the Aug. 6 patch notes:

“Turns out, in the code, all non-played Sims are considered ready to age up at any time. Which means, whenever the code would say “I want to start an NPC hosted birthday party. Is there anyone available to host it?” The answer was always yes. Oddly enough, it also turns out that this was causing players non-played Sims to age up quite often if the player went to the birthday parties they were invited to. We’ve fixed the availability for non-played Sims to host their own birthday party to properly check against their age.”

Not sure I completely understand it, but it sounds like it MIGHT fix the aging-up early phenomenon!

• Echo Weaver says:

It makes sense to me! That’s exactly what it’s saying! Yay.

It seems like EA is much more on top of fixing bugs in Sims 4. Maybe the ravening army of angry fans that attacked them on release is keeping them on their best behavior.

10. CathyTea, and Susan, thanks so much for the info about the patch. I finally just saw the patch notes; I saw your comments earlier today so I knew to look for it. They are so entertaining, and I have really appreciated their responsiveness and enthusiasm about fixing the game. It looks like that issue should be fixed now; evidently they just programmed it originally to consider inactive sims ready to age up at any time but now the programming checks the actual age of the sim. Yes! I probably will try to give Elder back his time one way or the other.

This was sad. I didn’t think Maddi would stick around long, but still sad to see her go so quickly. I was hoping they would get that camping trip in, so much for a long summer. 🙁 Poor Fiona, I imagine she’s taking it especially hard by being so close to her. Interesting about the party invite. I wouldn’t have expected her to be able to die at a party she was invited to, TS4 is a lot more tricksy it seems.

• Maisie, thanks for commenting… Yeah, in Sims 4 they can die anywhere. I was actually expecting Brad to die sooner because he’d gotten the “make the most of your days” message, but Maddi hadn’t.

Any Comments?