Talk about Princesses
Take Me to the Moon 7.16
Alyse was tired all the time. Somehow she’d forgotten how much energy it takes to keep up with a toddler. It was almost as if Grayson had gone straight from cuddly baby to independent child.
Grayson and Fearghus were both at work, and it was just Alyse and Hedy at home. Grayson was vague about his work, and he was gone most nights.
Soaked from Hedy’s splashing, but charmed by her antics, Alyse scooped Hedy up to dry her and put her in her pjs.
Just as she was giving Hedy a bedtime snack, Fearghus returned from work at the hospital.
“How did it go today?” Alyse asked, seeing the wear on Fearghus’ creased face.
Fearghus began to tell her about his day.
“It started out as usual,” he told her. “I was making rounds, checking on patients.”
Management at the hospital was not doing a very good job though, Fearghus said. The orderly wasn’t doing her job, and no one seemed to care. The medical techs weren’t doing their jobs, and no one cared.
One of the med techs, who was always yelling, had been on his case, fussing at him again.
The med techs were supposed to take swab samples and analyze them, freeing Fearghus for consultation, pre-op, and hopefully, deliveries and surgeries. But Fearghus was doing the med techs’ jobs. Today he had dropped a swab sample, and the glass had shattered and skittered over the hard floor, going everywhere.
Fearghus wondered if there was any good reason to keep working at this point. After all, he made as much in investments as he did in salary, and they could afford to take the cut in pay. But he was still holding out hope that he’d get promoted to specialist one more time before retiring, if they would ever give him a chance to deliver a baby. Instead he logged sample results.
Fearghus and Alyse put Hedy down for the night, and then gratefully snuggled into their own bed, to rest.
Later that night, Grayson returned from work. Not long after he had fallen asleep, Hedy woke with a nightmare.
Grayson comforted her, and got her back to sleep. He wondered what caused her frequent nightmares.
The next morning, Fearghus had a day off, and he slept in.
The butler was sleeping in, too, so Alyse made breakfast.
When Hedy threw her cereal, Alyse and Fearghus tried not to laugh, because they didn’t want to reinforce the behavior. But she was so incredibly adorable, it was hard to keep a straight face.
After breakfast, Alyse got Hedy dressed and then gave her a big hug.
The little girl was learning so quickly! She had a lot of new words, like “eat,” “art,” (her daddy showed her his stolen art and talked about it a lot!) and “duck.” She also said “buh”, meaning “book.” Reading was her favorite pastime, and she would often toddle over to the bookshelf and pick out her own book to “read.”
Hedy’s favorite book was about a little princess who lived in a castle, and her favorite topic for conversation, currently, was “Pwincess.”
At lunchtime, Alyse needed to take a nap, so she put Hedy in the high chair next to her granddad and left him to feed her lunch.
“After she eats, you can put her down for a nap,” she reminded him.
Hedy solemnly looked at Fearghus. Fearghus looked at her, unsure what to do or say.
Then she started to fuss.
Fearghus was feeling tired too, so he carried her into the parlor, which Alyse had turned into a playroom, and laid down on the sofa to watch her play.
After a few minutes, Hedy started to fuss again.
“Buh,Buh,” she said. Fearghus looked at her with confusion. Hedy looked like she was trying to communicate telepathically, but Fearghus wasn’t getting it.
“Pwincess!” she said, scooting off the sofa and heading to her doll house.
Fearghus finally got it, and joined her at the doll house.
Meanwhile, Grayson had finally awoken and had answered an invitation to go talk to Billie Yang across the hall.
“There was a very strange, thin man hanging around in the hall yesterday night. We wanted to ask him who he was, or what his business was, but we felt too freaked out,” Billie said.
That night, Grayson was at work again, and Alyse put Hedy to bed.
As Alyse carried her, Hedy’s eyes tracked the big picture of the Count over the mantle.
- The toddler communication skill develops in a really cool way! New toddlers can only babble. As they learn basic needs words, they can do things like say “help food,” “help potty,” etc. Hedy can say “help book,”‘ to ask an adult to read to her. As their imagination skill develops (from being read to or playing), they get new topics of conversation. Hedy’s favorite book is the one about the castle and she has the following topics of conversation available to her now: Talk about princesses, or talk about art.
- Alyse was dangerously tired a couple of times since Grayson came home, and that’s why I had Fearghus watch Hedy, but he was so funny, he just looked at her like he was clueless. She also is wary of people she doesn’t know as well. Aubree, Alyse’s sister came over, and she looked at her the same way at first. To make the story flow how I wanted, I used pictures from two different incidences when Fearghus watched Hedy, so if you notice, it’s sunset outside at “lunchtime” when Fearghus is feeding her.
- Grayson is now in the criminal career, at “petty thief” level. I imagine him trying to prove himself in a crime organization (because the top job in one track is like being a mob boss). I can just picture him being aggravated though, that they consider him “petty,” but having enough maturity at this point to realize the long term gains are worth it.
- Fearghus’ job in the medical career continues to be glitched and the med tech has the mean trait and yells at him. The nurse and the med tech don’t do anything helpful and Fearghus even had to clean up some trash this time. He really did drop the swab sample, actually 3 times, and I felt so badly for him. But when the prompt comes up to send him to work, I just keep hoping that with the latest game update or repair, maybe it will work this time.
- I wanted Grayson to invite the Count in, or meet him somewhere to talk, but he only showed up while Grayson was gone and I was worried if I invited him somewhere in the daytime, while Grayson was off work, that he would get stuck outside like Caleb and burn up.