Take Me to the Moon 3.7: Earhart Realized

Home  /  Take Me to the Moon  /  Take Me to the Moon 3.7: Earhart Realized

Take Me to the Moon 3.7: Earhart Realized

Previous Chapter / Next Chapter

Alexander was going through the pre-launch checklist.  His dark eyes took in every detail carefully.
Delaney wanted him to take her in his arms before he left.  She may never see him again, and he didn’t even know how she felt about him.
Just as he leaned in for a kiss, the buzzer started to go off.

She had been dreaming.  It was morning and time for her training run.

Delaney met Alexander outside for the walk to school.  There was so much to talk about, but they didn’t know what to say to each other.  They were graduating this month, and her aunt and his mom were throwing a black and white party to celebrate Delaney’s inaugural launch, the launch of the first amateur spacecraft.  Earhart was becoming reality.

“There’s something I need to tell you,” Alexander started.  But then he changed his mind.  “Never mind,” he said.  “It isn’t important.”
The day of the launch party arrived.  Bella Goth and Aunt Cacey had arranged for everything, and the Oasis Springs press would even have a representative present.  Cacey had made sure only one member of the press would be there; she didn’t want it turning into a three-ring circus.
As the guests started to arrive, Bella asked Cacey if there had been any word from her agency about banning the amateur launch, but Cacey said, no, it seemed like Delaney would be allowed to go ahead.  The agency had even sent a representative, Itzel Blount, to oversee the launch.

Alexander expressed his worry that Delaney shouldn’t be allowed to risk her life like this, and was quickly dismissed by Ms. Blount, the agency representative.  In the past few months, every facet of the rocket had been checked by the space agency and determined that her amateur mission to launch into low earth orbit and circle the earth once, was a Go.

That did not stop Mortimer, Alexander’s cautious father, from voicing his own concerns to Delaney.

When he left, Delaney turned and asked Alexander straight out, “Don’t you want me to live my dream?  Don’t you trust me?”
In reply, Alexander took her hands in his.  He looked earnestly into her eyes.

“Come with me,” he said.

“I trust you,” he said as he leaned close to her.  “I don’t want you to go.”

Delaney threw herself at Alexander.

He didn’t seem to know how to catch her; he liked things planned and orderly, and this kiss was a mess.

Alexander was still wondering what to do, when Cacey came out to check if Delaney was getting suited up soon.
Cacey went back inside, and Delaney pulled herself away from Alexander.

For a moment, they stood and looked at the ship that would carry Delaney into the upper atmosphere, to circle the earth, and then return.  Then Cacey went inside to suit up.

As Cacey and Bella, and the rest of the crowd watched, Delaney came out to board  her rocketship.

Cacey felt that this had to be a surreal dream; it wasn’t real.  She wished that Barnaby could see this; but he had died of old age, just weeks before.

Delaney looked straight ahead, and would have boarded without looking back.
But then she remembered Bella and Cacey had told her to remember this was an epic day for the family and for Oasis Springs, so she turned and gave a farewell.

Most of the crowd backed up to the street as she prepared for lift-off.  They preferred not to be incinerated.
However, the blast radius was pretty small, as Delaney had predicted, and the house was not burned up.

93 minutes later, and without incident, Laney’s feet were back on solid ground.

***

I’m so sad that Barnaby passed on, but he lived a long life.  I didn’t get a notice from the game that he was gone, but he just stopped coming by and wasn’t available anymore to invite to the party.  When I checked, he was gone.

Barnaby, I will miss you as much as Maddi!

I love this picture of Delaney, but didn’t know how to work it in to the story.

Ha, Alexander leaning in for a kiss with his helmet on made me giggle, I must admit! Dreams are weird but so are sims. 😉

RIP, Barnaby! A shame he didn't get to see Delaney make her first successful space launch. I'm more interested in what will happen with her and Alexander now that she's back though. 😀

2. retromaisie says:

Aw that's sad that Barnaby died and didn't get to see the launch! I'm super bummed about that. He was always one of my favorites and its sad that he is gone, especially without any pictures leading up to it. 🙁

The launch pictures were great and Delaney looks quite lovely in her black dress, and pretty rocking in her space suit too. Glad she finally kissed Alexander! Are their risks to die from the rocket launch?

• It does bother me that sims can just disappear, as Barnaby did, die without any kind of warning like that. I guess I could move elderly relatives back in to the main house once they get very old, so I won't miss their death. I'm hopeful that once I play rotational style I can come up with a workable system with aging off if necessary.

Barnaby was awesome, I always liked him a lot.

As for death by rocket, I was worried about it because some of the labels or descriptions in the game made it sound risky if the rocket wasn't upgraded well. However, when I saw you asked this just now, I looked at Carl's Sims 4 and death by rocket doesn't appear as an option so I guess it is not a risk. Probably there is a risk of bad moodlet, oh no!

It also bothers me to learn that deaths in Sims 4 don't have notifications.

• "It also bothers me to learn that deaths in Sims 4 don't have notifications."

What is up with that??! That definitely should not happen, but apparently it does. I've been playing with aging off the last few weeks because I'm playing different households at times and I don't want anything untoward happening in the legacy house. The only thing I noticed that happens without authorization with aging off, is that pregnancies still progress, to the point of having the baby and the game naming the baby while the player is in another active lot. So I'm being extra careful while this generation is having children and then it should be fine until someone is soon to die.

4. Just found a mod to pause pregnancy while playing another lot with aging off — thanks to Scumbumbo at Mod the Sims. I added it to my Pinterest if anyone needs a link, or it is at http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=548186.

5. moondansr says:

So sad to hear that Barnaby is gone. He lived a good life though, and I really enjoyed seeing him around as Delaney grew up. I’m glad to see that things are going well for Alexander and Delaney. You’ve made it into such a sweet romance. It’s hard for me to do that sort of thing slowly in the sims and I’m worried I’ll one day have to deal with the serial romantic aspiration. I was impressed that you got Cacey through it!

6. ivanasims says:

Delaney and Alexander near the spaceship were so funny! The unplanned kiss and Cacey going back in while they snuggled. I can imagine her watching the scene for a moment and turning on her heels whistling. I am also glad that Delaney finally went on her first mission. She helps the Teslas stick to their name 🙂

7. ninjapigsims says:

Aw! RIP Barnaby! I’ll miss him dearly.

I love the idea of Alexander and Delaney! The two of them seem so perfect for each other, and he cares for her so much. 🙂 I hope Casey’s okay with her niece seeing him though. It’s strange that she has so much experiences with dating, but she chooses a hands-off approach with Delaney. Maybe it’s tough to see her grow up?

Anyway, congratulations to Casey and Delaney on a Tesla rocket expedition!

• Hi ninjapig, thought-provoking comment you left here. So what do you mean by hands-off, in regard to Cacey’s approach with Delaney? I guess I always saw Cacey as being pretty low key as a parent figure; she didn’t really act very motherly towards Delaney. She was her aunt and they were only about 12 years apart. I hadn’t thought about her being hands-off but I guess you are right. I’m curious if you have you seen Sims 4 sims react differently to kids’ dating or public displays of affection?

• ninjapigsims says:

Oh it’s not a problem whatsoever! I think I’m just used to reading stories where parental figures are very focused on their children/guardians. Not that those who are low-key parents are any less of a parent of course! 🙂

I was just surprised that she didn’t speak to Delaney more when she started to date as she got older, seeing as Casey herself would have a lot of experiences in that area and had single-handedly raised Delaney from a child to an adult after what happened. There’s nothing wrong with what she did, and for all we know they might have had the ‘dating/boys’ talk off-camera! 🙂

8. Awe. It was so sad watching her leave in the rocket! I felt that, seriously. Delaney and Alexander are so cute together, though. 🙂

9. Michelle says:

Hey, I started reading your Legacy story from the beginning, and I’m loving it! But, about half of the images on this post aren’t showing up for me. It might just be a temporary problem or one on my end, but I thought I’d let you know just in case. Have a great Thanksgiving 🙂

• Thanks, Michelle, for reading & commenting, and letting me know about the images. I’ve been having a little trouble with that lately too, but didn’t know if it was just my internet connections or something more systemic. I’ll check with bluehost and see if I can find out what’s causing it. Happy Thanksgiving!

10. Ariadne2001 says:

I’ll miss Barnaby too, at least he’s with Hermoine again 🙂

11. Sophia, that’s a great point. I was so sad about Barnaby. Now I have MC Command Center, so I haven’t (cross fingers) lost any sims since putting it in the game.