September 1-3, 605
Narrated by Sheldon Bright
We decided to go camping over the Labor Day holiday, before it got really chilly up there in the mountains, and before going back to school. The leaves had already started to change, and the sky was gorgeous, with that blue that looked like it went on and on forever.
We got there earlier than James and Elise; they wanted to drop Helen off at Moira Jones’ house first. After we got camp set up, we still had a little light, so Madeline and I played horseshoes while Lillith puttered around, getting dinner started.
But when James and Elise arrived, and Lillith and James joined the game, Madeline went and found her homework, and set herself up at the table.
She was lured away from her reading by the lightning bugs, though. I asked her to take Harrison with her, because there isn’t anything he loves more than bug collecting. But she’s 10, and he’s 5, and she just doesn’t like putting up with his babyish ways, she says.
He didn’t run after her, because he’s lost his glasses again, and was having trouble seeing well enough to catch bugs.
Harrison really looks up to Madeline, though. While Lillith was taking the burgers off the grill, Madeline told everyone her latest story, that she made up, and Harrison hung on every word.
Lillith told him to take a seat by the fire and tried to cheer him up a bit, that things would get easier between him and Madeline as they got older.
We didn’t hear much conversation coming from them during dinner.
Although eventually, Harrison told Madeline about some bugs he found in the meadow at home.
Elise is usually early to bed, and James always goes with her even if he’s not tired, so after the kid went to bed it was just me and Lillith at the fire.
I was thinking, campfire, starry night, chill in the air, great opportunity for some woohoo… but then I started getting dizzy, like I was coming down with something. But the dizziness passed, and we ended up having some fun in the tent before sleeping after all.
Sure enough, Elise was first up in the morning, with the kids. I’m sure she made them a healthy breakfast…
And then sent them off to play in the woods around the carmp site. I think she secretly assigned Madeline to “babysit” Harrison, so she wouldn’t object to playing with him.
Once we woke up and ate, and cleaned up, we had a little bit of time to enjoy the fresh air before we headed home. We wanted to make it to see the first big PSU game that evening.
“Well, Pumpkin,” I said, “Happy Birthday!”
Mine and Madeline’s birthdays are only a day apart. Hers was yesterday, and mine’s today.
As soon as we got home, Elise started whipping up a cake for us.
We got it ready just in time for the game to start. It was so exciting to see the new football season start off! The PSU Llamas finally have a good coach this year, at least we hope so. Hopefully, no more boring NFL-style offense game after game.
During halftime, we sang happy birthday to Madeline, and me.
By the time the game came back on, Elise, was quite perturbed with the first few plays.
And Lillith was holding her breath to see if our team was about to lose the ball.
Meanwhile, Madeline found a quieter place to read,
in her mom’s office.
And went to bed before anyone realized it.
- Madeline and Sheldon both had birthdays during this update, but it wasn’t a transition birthday, so it was pretty low key. Now my Simdale Valley sims have a proper calendar, they also have annual birthdays, even when they aren’t aging up.
- These are low key families, and not much happened, so I considered not writing an update for this. But I enjoy playing them so much, and the camping trip and “Big Game,” were so much fun, I decided to include it.
- Harrison is supposed to have freckles and glasses, but I had forgotten that until I was writing his profile, and I’d already written the post. So I’ll add them next time I’m in the game, and update his profile picture.
- Helen is 2, so since we don’t have toddlers, I just didn’t invite her on the camping trip. The Brights were the active household so I had no control over James, Elise, and Harrison. He would have been so into bug collecting! It was his hobby in Sims 2 and he loves the outdoors in Sims 4.
- I’m so excited about Fall in Simdale Valley. It’s so pretty!