A Few Good Men
Naomi Redbird is 33 years old. Laney McElveen and Sandy Bruty are both 41, Chelsea Finnbar and Zane Roberts are 29. Astrid Farnsworth is 24 and Hattie Granger is 19. Daniel Ono is 44.
Naomi’s Previous Post /Naomi’s Next Post
Naomi’s dream was to open her own retail shop, a niche boutique with unique little finds, or a salon like her old “Birds of a Feather” in Simdale Valley. But for now, she was stuck in retailing purgatory. She was a manager for the Port Prominence branch of Bella’s Secret.
The lingerie was cute but the corporate feel gave her the heebie-jeebies. Like the pink silk manager’s blouse with the little bow. Yuck.
And she couldn’t run a big busy shop like this, by herself, so she had to manage the help.
Lexi Weinstein had come with glowing references of her sales skills. But she was proving to be completely worthless. Naomi asked her to help customers, and she stood around texting. She assigned her to restock, and Lexi steadfastly refused. Naomi felt like she was losing her mind, because the girl acted like she didn’t exist. She acted like she was at the mall on leisure rather than on the job.
After giving her some constructive feedback, and about to write her up, she asked Lexi what would help her do a better job.
“If you paid me more, I’d be more motivated,” she said.
“You’re fired,” Naomi said in frustration. This would be a black mark for Naomi with corporate, but really, how did they expect her to work with this!
The rest of the day, Naomi had to run the whole store alone.
Meanwhile, she used every free second to scan the database for applicants to call for interviews.
She ended up staying well after 10 pm that night to get the store cleaned up and ready for the next day.
While she drank a glass of milk, and sat and hated the black bow, she tried to reassure herself that once she found a few good employees, things would change. They had to… she couldn’t imagine spending her life like this.
She was back at work a few hours later, getting everything ready to open for a busy Friday.
The first interviewee to arrive was a PSU student with a name like Henrietta or Hattie or something. Naomi thought she seemed like she might have a good work ethic, but she had no experience. She’s probably be scarce during exams, and holidays, when she needed her most. She’d prefer not to hire college students.
Later that morning she made a hire. Astrid Farnsworth seemed like a go-getter, had good experience, and a lot of initiative. Naomi hoped she’d work out well.
Magically, when she asked Astrid to restock, she did.
The rest of Friday went so much more smoothly, Naomi decided to meet her sister, Laney, for a yoga class at 6:00 pm.
Laney was in a bad mood; she often tried to impress upon Naomi how hard her life was in her Victorian mansion with her hard-working husband and Naomi’s adorable niece and nephew. Naomi wasn’t hearing it.
After the yoga class, Laney asked to tag along when Naomi went out to meet friends at the Lotus.
“Declan’s putting the kids to bed,” she said.
“Yeah, you’ve got it really tough,” Naomi thought to herself. She loved her sister, but she just seemed really entitled sometimes.
Naomi had been lonely for a while even though she’d had dates. It just hadn’t been the same since Ripp.
Daniel Ono came over, sat down, and began to flirt with Naomi. He’d been hot and cold ever since Chelsea’s big party and Naomi was pretty weary of it.
“I see Dr. Ono‘s working tonight,” she said coldy. Daniel glared.
Naomi got up. “I’m here with friends.”
She went and sat with Sandy and Marcus, a guy she met at yoga class.
“Ignore him,” Sandy advised.
Naomi looked into her cosmopolitan, watching it swirl.
“It’s easier said than done,” she said. “You’ve got Zane; I go home to an empty bed.”
“It’s not a bed of roses with Zane,” Sandy thought to herself. Aloud she said, “Let’s dance. C’mon.”
- So excited, this is my first real Sims 4 update for Simdale Valley!!
- Bella’s Secret is a cool retail lot I downloaded from the Gallery by islarosexiv
- Naomi had a salon called Birds of a Feather in Sims 2, but since I haven’t hardly played retail in Sims 4, I wanted to get some experience with her “managing” first before buying her own shop (because I don’t know what the heck I’m doing right now!). Of course, from a gameplay standpoint she owns Bella’s Secret, but I had to give her cheat money to get it and she won’t be getting the profits. Eventually I’d like to make either a small shop or spa for her to run. One big problem is finding an appropriate small lot!! There’s such a shortage of small lots in urban areas right now in Sims 4.
- Astrid Farnsworth is a sim I made based on JJ Abrams’ character by the same name, from the TV series Fringe.
- Lexi really did say that she needed a raise, after standing around doing NOTHING all day! Astrid has a much higher work ethic and you could see a big difference.
- Daniel is a married man and he and Naomi had an interlude at a party a while back, pretty steamy stuff for a very small town, right in front of everybody there. Last time I played him in Sims 2 he wouldn’t have anything to do with Naomi, but his wife was there, so I guess he’s not as foolish as he initially seemed, but his days with Dr. Ono are probably numbered, I would guess.
- Ripp Grunt and Naomi were a hot item at Fiesta Tech, and for a while after graduation, in my Sims 2 neighborhood that I lost thanks to securom issues. They had really high chemistry, and even though they were both romance sims they completely enjoyed each others’ company, often ditching other dates to hang out together. I’m planning to re-make Ripp for Sims 4, but the chemistry may or may not be there this time.