Tiresome Little Critters
Take Me to the Moon 6.21
Grayson rose early and challenged his mother to a chess match.
It wasn’t a drawn-out affair. Grayson won quickly.
But he soon found another opponent.
Grayson was not surprised to see Aubree choose that pawn. He could tell she was bored, and he suspected she figured beating a little kid was going to be easy. Grayson could have easily hustled her, but he liked his aunt Aubree too much to take advantage of her like that.
He looked at the chess board. Checkmate was only three moves away but Grayson considered how such a stunning win would impact whether Aubree would want to play again with him. He chose a different move. Even though Aubree was a captive audience, his babysitter for the day, he was thinking long-term. Letting her win this time would allow him to capitalize on her sympathies and win him another chess game later.
Meanwhile, Alyse and Fearghus were having a lunch date at the beach just down the coast from their house.
Alyse had been feeling down lately, for no reason she could put her finger on, and she knew that Fearghus had been really stressed at work. Time together seemed like a good idea for both of them, and this was Fearghus’ first day off in a while.
“To you,” he toasted. Fearghus knew Alyse was brilliantly creative, and he knew she felt a little lost right now, since she didn’t really have the time and energy to funnel into developing her musical talent like she needed to really excel.
“I hate this shrimp,” Alyse said, gloomily. “Why did you order this for me?”
“And what are you in the mood for?” Fearghus asked cheekily. A grin spread across Alyse’s face, thinking of their inside joke concerning handcuffs in the bedroom.
Fearghus caught the waiter’s eye and re-ordered for Alyse, and he finished off her shrimp. She was right, it had an odd taste, Fearghus noticed.
Back at home, Grayson consulted his log, to see which combinations he had already eliminated for his health potion.
He ran through another sequence
And noted the results carefully.
Fox invited him to play Voidcritters. Grayson played a round with him, but he found it tiresome. Fox loved collecting the cards and training them; his voidcritters were practically real, in his mind.
Grayson preferred other pursuits. Like honing his strategic thinking. As soon as Fearghus got home, Grayson challenged him to a game of chess.
Fox came running up to the balcony.
“There you are!” he said to Grayson. “I wondered why you didn’t come back. My Arcticorn was about to completely defeat your Wisp.”
“It is a foregone conclusion that your horned beast would defeat my tiny, untrained spirit-like creature; you spend hours every day training it,” Grayson explained, trying to keep from sounding pedantic.
“Yeah, but Void is strong against Water,” Fox informed him. “That’s why it is such an epic battle.”
Fearghus and Alyse had such a great time at lunch, they decided to go out for dinner, too, while Aubree was still there to babysit. This time they dressed up and headed for the city, for a restaurant right on the water.
This day off was turning out to be a bit of a mini-escape, and they both felt giddy with the romantic ambience.
They had to wait a long time to place their order, but they were still laughing and flirting when she finally arrived at their table.
But while they were waiting for their food, Fearghus started feeling violently ill.
The waiter came to check in, and tell them their dish would be out soon, but Fearghus was running for the bathroom.
“I think we’re going to need to give up our table,” Alyse told the waiter. Alyse smiled at her, and suddenly it dawned on her that her face looked incredibly familiar.
“Are you, by any chance, related to Bjorn TuRok?” Alyse asked.
“He’s my dad,” she said. “Hi, I’m Isla. How do you know Bjorn?” Isla asked.
Fearghus returned to find Isla and Alyse talking like they’d known each other all their lives. Alyse took one look at Fearghus’ white, drawn face and said, “Let’s get you home.”
When they got home, she had Fearghus call the Food Poisoning Hotline and report the restaurant on the beach.
“I knew that shrimp was bad,” she said to Fearghus.
- Beautiful seaside restaurant, called Island Paradise Grille, by Rachelle7 on the Gallery. The Windenburg Waterfront restaurant is by polyprincess123. I had Alyse and Fearghus sit on the patio overlooking the bay, but there is also an amazing underwater dining area with drop-dead lighting shadows filtered through the water above in the daylight.
- Fearghus and Alyse were both working on the Soulmate Aspiration, so they needed two dates. Fearghus is a level ahead, so he needed two silver dates with spouse, whereas Alyse just needed two dates. In spite of the food poisoning and the fact that their food didn’t arrive for hours, they were able to get silver for the second date, too. It was so sweet, when Fearghus toasted Alyse at the beach, he was thinking of creativity, and her. His joke about the handcuffs was prompted by a risque interaction and a handcuff thought bubble.
- So after my recent comments that I’d never seen evidence of Alyse’s gloomy trait, she showed me! She got the sad for no reason mood twice during this play session! And she really did get a “I hate this shrimp” thought bubble when her order came.
- Isla is Alyse’s half-sister on her dad’s side! I posted a picture on tumblr of them having a “deep conversation” about death — both their moms have recently passed away.
- For his Whiz Kid aspiration, Grayson needed to play three chess games with adults.